- One cup dried black beans
- One small onion
- One teaspoon salt, two teaspoons ground cumin, two bay leaves
- Wash black beans.
- Add about three times as much water as the beans to the InstaPot.
- Chop onion. Add it to the InstaPot.
- Add salt and ground cumin to the InstaPot. Stir mixure.
- Set InstaPot at high pressure for 45 minutes.* After the 45 minutes, let the beans sit in the InstaPot for another 20 minutes.
- Let beans sit for 30 minutes on the “Keep Warm” setting.
- Remove the bay leaves. The beans are now ready to serve.
*You’ll need to vary the cooking time by type of bean. Chickpeas (garbanzo beans) – 75 minutes, kidney beans – 30 minutes, pinto beans – 45 minutes. Since I serve the black beans and pinto beans with tacos, I add the salt, cumin and bay leaves for those two types of beans. For the other beans that I mix with 2/3 cup of onion masala for every cup of uncooked beans, I don’t add those ingredients as the masala adds the flavor.