- Three tablespoons oil
- Four tablespoons minced garlic
- Two tablespoons minced ginger
- Two cups diced onions
- One teaspoon ground tumeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- Two teaspoons ground cumin
- One teaspoon ground coriander
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- One cup chopped tomato
- Set Instapot to Saute (More) for high heat.
- Add oil.
- When oil is heated, add garlic and ginger and cook for three minutes.
- Reset Instapot to Saute (Regular).
- Add onions. Cook for 12 minutes, stirring continuously.
- Add tumeric, cayenne pepper, cumin, coriander and salt.
- Add tomato. Mix and lock Instapot lid.
- Set Instapot to Pressure Cook (High Pressure) for 15 minutes.
The masala can be stored in the fridge for a week after cooling or up to three months in the freezer.
*Shout out to Urvashi Pitre as this recipe was derived from her “Indian Instant Pot Cookbook: Traditional Indian Dishes Made Easy & Fast”